Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Monday lunch - awesome!


This week is a bit slow, but yesterday we decided to go visit a beautiful small village on the same island where we live, Eysturoy. The village is called Elduvík and have only 27 inhabitants. It's very picturesque and have a beautiful view. Also, a funny thing happened.In our village, there has been two horses eating grass from the mountain all autumn, and yesterday morning we found them gone. We didn't think that much about it, except that it was a bit sad that we couldn't see them from our living room any more. But when we were in Elduvík, they were there, of all places!

One of the horses. It has blue eyes, isn't that pretty unusual?
The view from Elduvík

Martin and Elduvík in the background.


Anyway, what I wanted to show you are the lunch we ate when we came home. It's cabbage rolls filled with bulgur, soy protein and yellow bell pepper, boiled potatoes, lingonberry jam and roasted garlic gravy. I free-styled mine, but there's a recipe for cabbage rolls over at Our Life in Sandarna for something that looks pretty similar. The gravy is from Tofu-n-Sprouts, and it's D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S.



And hey, do you eat plain boiled potatoes? It's one of the most common foods in the Nordic countries but I don't think I've ever seen it at any international food blog from somewhere else. I would really like to know more, so tell me about your experiences!


11 comments:

  1. Your plate looks lovely! and yes we eat boiled potatoes - usually with Earth Balance and salt though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photos - Elduvík looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. this horse is awesome!
    I never really eat plain potatoes like this, but it could happen here in canada... usually, they are mashed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have a beautiful food blog and blog altogether....photos are very clean and where you live I can feel the spirit coming through in those photos.

    This horse looks so unique

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do in Germany! :) That horse is just oozing with character haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the horse, the horse! must go hunt your flickr account to fave it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all!

    Celine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/falovi/ it's here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a great post. I love the beautiful pictures from your northern island life. they are so evocative. Your dinner looks amazing. That cabbage is so beautiful... so dark! And once again, the jam with dinner! I'll have to see if I can track down any lingonberry jam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amey: I'm pretty sure you could find it at IKEA if there is any nearby you. It's great!!

    ReplyDelete