Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Pumpkin Adventure part three: Scones.


Tonight, I'm going to the "big" city (the capital, Tórshavn, 20,000 inhabitants) to see the new Harry Potter movie. I've only been to the cinema here once before, and that time they really caught me by surprise. In the middle of the movie, everything stopped and the lights were turned on. I though that something had broken down, but everyone around us acted normal and went out in the lobby to get more popcorn and candy. 15 minutes later, they called everyone back in and the movie continued. Later, I was told that this was because of the ventilation. For some reason, it's not good enough to keep the air fresh for the whole movie, so they have to take a break, open the doors and let in some more oxygen. I think it's quite funny, and somehow it just fits in very well with this society.

Anyway, the capital is 1 hour away so we'll have to bring some food if we're not going to buy way to much candy for the movie (as if we won't anyway..). So I've made up a batch of pumpkin scones for us to eat. I found some different recipes online, but decided to make some (major) tweaks to my standard scones recipe from secondary school.


Whole Grain Pumpkin Scones
yields 6 scones

1 1/3  cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pumpkin purée
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar


In a medium size mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. In a small mixing bowl, mix the pumpkin, water, oil and sugar. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix to combine. The dough will be a bit sticky, but flour your hands a little bit while shaping and you'll be fine. Shape the dough into a 1 inch high disc, and cut into six pieces like you would cut a cake. Transfer individually to a baking sheet. Poke each scone with a fork a couple of time and decorate with some pumpkin seeds if you like too. Bake in 250° C (480° F) for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous... I want to see Harry Potter but it hasn't opened yet. I'm sure it will be great. Those scones look amazing. Another recipe I've added to my must cook list. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am bookmarking this. I love some scones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to see the new Harry Potter this afternoon!

    And your scones look lovely with the seeds on top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, those scones look wonderful!

    I remember when I lived in Italy, the movies always stopped in the middle for "intermezzo" and everyone would go outside and smoke and drink wine and eat snacks. It was so weird to me... but I kind of liked it too. I wonder if they still do that.

    ReplyDelete