Monday, October 8, 2012

New Food Monday! Okra

 It's Monday again and high time to try a new ingredient. I've been meaning to try okra for quite some time, but haven't gotten around to do it until now. We came by a new food store the other day and found some frozen okra, so that's what we used. It's not a common veggie here, so you have to look beyond your usual supermarket to find it.

I knew what I wanted to do with it, the okra gumbo posted on the Post Punk Kitchen! I've never eaten gumbo, so it's double new food! The cooking method was new to me and it was fun to see the tomatoes cooking down into the roux and onions, forming a thick pasty sauce. I didn't add kidney beans since I think they are nasty, but instead some cubed tempeh.

I ate the gumbo with some rice and some lettuce, and it was good! I felt that it somewhat lacked in spices maybe, so I ate some of my homemade chili sauce along with it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment