Sunday, December 26, 2010

Holiday eats.

I hope everyone had fun during the last few days, whatever you did. Mine was fine. I spent the 24th cooking, watching a movie, talking to various relatives on Skype and eating sushi for the first time since summer. Quite good, if you ask me. As I mentioned in my last post, the main celebration in the Nordic countries is on the 24th, but out only guest spent that day with her family so we invited her over on the 25th instead.

Sushi!
We had a pretty traditional Swedish scaled down (skipped the whole fish-department) veganized Christmas dinner. Unlike many other countries where a big dead bird is the centre piece, most people in Sweden make a lot of different dishes and you eat it as a buffet. The ham is the big meat-thing, and then there's a lot of other small dishes to go with it. I'll show you what we ate with pictures and some few words. If someone would like a recipe for anything, just ask and I'll fix it right away. After dinner we watched the movie "Fanny and Alexander" by Ingmar Bergman, directors cut which is a bit over 5 hours. It was fantastic!

The "ham", made of seitan and with a "crust" of mustard and breadcrumbs.
Vört-bread. It's a rye-wheat based bread flavoured with malt, cloves, cinnamon and raisins.
Beetroot salad.
Potato Casserole.
My plate. Red cabbage, ham, sausages, meatballs, beetroot salad, potato casserole, brussel sprouts.
Me! Very satisfied with my bread. Before the food coma.

5 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a lovely weekend! And your meal looks very tasty, I would love the recipe for the potato casserole, please, when you have the time!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. beetroot salad looks beautiful... can you post a recipe? thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegan food never really get good exposure , especailly over the holiday's. Great work at making a traditional Swedish holiday meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seconding the request for the potato casserole recipe! I'd also love to hear how you made the faux ham. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipe for the potato casserole and the beet root salad is up now! Have fun with it :)

    ReplyDelete